Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Remembering 9/11

By: Melissa Baker

Today September 11th. It is the anniversary of one of the most tragic and horrible events in US history. The terrorist attack on our country 17 years ago turned our world upside down. I remember being in Theater class in high school, when I heard (and saw) the news on TV. Everyone was in shock. We just couldn't fathom the horror that was taking place. Thinking back on the events of that day, my heart is still broken for those that were lost, and for the families that have to deal with this tragic time. However, I am also hopeful and my spirit is lifted when I think about all that God has pulled us through, not only as individuals, but as a nation as well.

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.  Psalm 34:18

The Bible tells us that God is close to the brokenhearted, that is will never leave us, and that we are loved by God. We have to hold onto those promises in times like these. I know we were all deeply impacted by 9/11, some more than others, so I can't speak for everyone. However, I do know that my God is bigger than any tragedy that we will ever face. So today, if you are grieving yet another anniversary of a loved one lost, or just reliving the heartbreak of this day, know that God is always with us, carrying us through our hardest moments.

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.
Deuteronomy 31:6

I have posted a video below of a song about 9/11. It puts things in perspective and helps me to reflect. And it is a reminder to never take each day for granted. Its called "Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning)" by Alan Jackson.


"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  
Jeremiah 29:11




For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
 John 3:16



Have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment